Wednesday 29 January 2014

Milton Glaser

During my research, I stumbled upon Milton Glaser and immediately was attracted to his sense of style and design. The one thing that I was interested in, was the ''I Love NY'' T-shirt design. Although the actual logo isn't the same as the ''NY'' design, I tried to resemble it through the use of the vibrant red; which is eye-catching and will attract the audiences' attention.




MILTON GLASER:





http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkev_sGT2V5n1L6ei9juCA-9sumEWTDq5IKaCKgAtj-qkuWra3xw:1.bp.blogspot.com/-_IUPtbz3NXI/Ttlgc8p-yOI/AAAAAAAADek/O2ZaRA_1g64/s1600/HEADSHOT.jpgMilton Glaser (born June 26, 1929, in New York City) is an American graphic designer, best known for the I NY logo. His Bob Dylan poster, the DC bullet logo used by DC Comics from 1977 to 2005, and the Brooklyn Brewery logo.  He also founded New York Magazine with Clay Felker in 1968.

Milton Glaser, Inc. was established in 1974 in Manhattan, and is still producing work in a wide range of design disciplines, including corporate identities (logos, stationery, brochures, signage, website design, and annual reports), environmental and interior design (exhibitions, interiors and exteriors of restaurants, shopping malls, supermarkets, hotels, and other retail environments), packaging (food and beverage packaging), and product design.


EXAMPLES OF HIS WORK:



These are just fragments of some of Glasers' work. As you can see, in all of his pieces, various amount of colours are used (to bring the painting to life). No other designers use this style, and if they do it is inspired by Glaser, as Glaser is unique in everything that he does. The last photo (on the right) with the 3D collage of rectangles, is an idea that I would like to incorporate into my Contents page. The reason I am intending to do this, is because my target audiences are 16-25 Males so they will be attracted to shapes. It would be easier for them to read the Contents Page. Additonally, it is an idea that hasn't been used before. Rather than the collage of rectangles be 3D, they'll be 2D and facing forwards like the picture below.


 


The Band name will be the middle rectangle, which will be the biggest (as that's the main focus of the whole Magazine) and the features will fit around the Band. I like the idea of the collage of the rectangles, as it is unique and no one has done anything like this before.

Initally, I was going to create a collage of different shapes. However, I recieved constructive feedback from peers and they stated that ''There was too much going on''. I took that feedback on board and narrowed it down to one, simple shape.

































































No comments:

Post a Comment